Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Lace Flowers

 
 
Hello everyone! Today I'm going to show you how to make lace flowers. The other day, my friend had the cutest lace flower in her hair, but sadly she couldn't remember where it was from. Instead of going on a wild goose chase online, I figured I could just make one myself. Oh, the wonderful powers of sewing! :)

Supplies
At least 7 inches of lace
Sewing machine OR needle and thread

Optional
Hair clip
small scrap of felt


Start off by measuring out the lace. I used 14 inches and it ended up like a rose. Depending on how many layers you want to have, adjust the length. The shorter the lace, the less the layers, and same for the longer lace. I have also found that scalloped lace makes really cute daises!

Sew a long basting stitch across the straight edge of the lace. For this step you can either use needle and thread or the sewing machine. I prefer using the sewing machine just because it gets the job done faster. Some may call this lazy, but I call it efficient! :)



After sewing straight across the lace, slowy and carefuly pull on ONE of the strings. Don't pull too hard or too fast because the string will snap and you will have to resew along the edge. Not fun, trust me. (If you are making a daisy, sew the two ends of lace together BEFORE gathering. Make sure not to sew over the gathering strings as well.)

Now, roll your gathered lace (or gather the circle of lace), and the flower will start to form! DON'T CUT OFF THE GATHERING STRINGS!

Flip over the flower, there will be an ugly little nub. Take the two gathering strings and wrap them around the base of the nub. Flip the flower over... now you have a pretty center!


Congratulations! You made a dainty lace flower!

Attaching to a hair clip:
Start off by putting some hot glue on the bottom of the flower. Then, put the hair clip on top of the hot glue. WARNING: Before you wear the gorgeous new flower,  cover up the hot glue with a small circle of felt. This way, it won't get caught in your hair when you take it out.






No comments:

Post a Comment